Canaras

A Brief History on Canaras:

When wilderness was unwanted, the Saranac country was valued at eight cents an acre. In 1792, New York State sold it at that figure to a speculator, Alexander Macomb, as part of a land deal involving four million acres. A century later the state bought much of it back. Today, more than half of the shoreline of the three Saranac lakes is state forest preserve. Summer camps, half hidden under a canopy of evergreen foliage, line the privately owned shores.

Through the gift of an anonymous donor, St. Lawrence University became the owner of one of these camps and called it Camp "Canaras" - "Saranac" spelled backwards. Used throughout the summer for Alumni and other SLU events, it is now referred to as Canaras Conference Center.