Since English majors concentrate on polishing the craft of expressing their thoughts creatively and persuasively, they sometimes worry that they do so at the expense of preparing themselves for a specific vocation. Yet we find our majors routinely employing their writing skills and powers of analysis in a wide variety of applications, from management to medicine, from the Peace Corps to the performing arts.
Here's just a quick sampling of the variety of jobs held by some of our English Department graduates, within the six most popular professional categories for English majors:
- Wendy Schweigert '81 -- Associate Professor of Psychology, Bradley University.
- Timothy Cahill '82 -- Associate Professor of Religious Studies, Loyola University, New Orleans.
- William Chaisson '82 -- Assistant Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Rochester.
- Thomas Chiarella '83 -- Associate Professor of Creative Writing, DePauw University.
- Bill Gillard '88 -- Assistant Professor of English, University of Wisconsin-Fox Valley.
- Joe Allen '88 -- Professor of English, Dutchess Community College.
- Priscilla Finley '89 -- Humanities Librarian, University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- Zubeda Jalalzai '91 -- Associate Professor of English, Rhode Island College.
- Cathy Woodruff '80 -- Reporter (transportation and business beats) for The Times Union, Albany.
- Julia Carlisle '82 -- Reporter for KTOO-FM, Juneau Public Radio.
- Andrea de Leon '82 -- Northeast Bureau Chief, National Public Radio.
- Ron Moss '84 -- Associate Production Director at Time Inc.
- Christopher Williams '84 -- Reporter for Dow Jones & Co.
- Joy Ciarcia-Levy '85 -- Producer, ABC News 20/20.
- Colleen De Baise '92 -- Small Business Editor, The Wall Street Journal.
- Chris Morris '06 -- News Director, KWBZ, Saranac Lake, New York.
ADVERTISING MEDIA AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
- Barbara Goldberg '80 -- Media Specialist (focus on healthcare communications), Chandler Chico Agency.
- Lauren Podesta Salamone '81 -- Marketing Consultant, eBusinessWriting.com.
- Jennifer Day '86 -- President, Connect Healthcare Communications, Inc.
- Samantha Semerad Guerry '88 -- President and CEO, Sightline Marketing.
- Edward Parham '90 -- Director of Public Relations, Rueckert Advertising & Public Relations LLC.
- Joe Kerper '00 -- Owner, J. Kerper Group: Visual Media Services.
- Rachael '05 -- Associate Director for Running Start, an advocacy group that advises women interested in entering politics.
- Christopher Peterson '05 -- President, Arroyo Creative.
- Susan Schultz Laluk '80 -- Partner at Boylan, Brown, Code, Vigdor & Wilson LLP. Susan practices business and corporate law, with special emphasis on intellectual property, internet law, and employment law.
- Wade Kennedy '86 -- Partner at McGuire Woods LLP. Wade represents national financial institutions in credit facilities, leveraged finance transactions, and leasing transactions.
- David Echigian '87 -- Attorney at Getnick Livingston Atkinson & Priore, LLP. David practices in the areas of civil and business litigation, torts, and insurance defense.
- John Anderson '87 -- Partner, Harter Secrest & Emery LLP. John gives legal counsel to a wide range of business entities, including not-for-profit enterprises.
- Douglas McGill '88 -- Managing Member, Douglas J. McGill, LLC. Listed on the "Super Lawyers" website.
- Madeleine Dowling '89 -- Partner at Sidley Austin LLP. Madeleine represents broker-dealers, hedge funds, and investment banks in various compliance, enforcement, and regulatory matters.
- Kevin Raphael '91 -- Partner at Pietragallo Gordon Alfano Bosick & Raspanti, LLP. Kevin works in criminal law, primarily with cases involving white collar crime.
EDITING AND PUBLISHING
- Stephen Kirk '82 -- Editorial Assistant at John F. Blair, Publisher (and author of First in Flight: The Wright Brothers in North Carolina).
- Daniel Conaway '83 -- Editor/British-Rights Manager, W.W. Norton & Company, Inc.
- Douglas McCollum '84 -- Senior Vice President, Pearson Prentice Hall.
- David Gray '85 -- President, Gray & Company Publishers.
- Heidi Kilgras '87 -- Editorial Director, Random House Children's Publishing. Heidi is also the author of several children's books.
- Lara Bonomo '92 -- Bookings Editor/Director, Teen Vogue magazine.
- Jenn Jackson '93 -- Literary Agent, Donald Maas Literary Agency.
- Genevieve Shaw Brown '99 -- Senior Editor, Travelosity.
- Janice Brabaw '01 -- Owner, Tangeled Up In Blue Productions/PublishingA
- Alexa Brazilian '03 -- Fashion News Editor, Elle Magazine
- Nicole Collen '06 -- Associate Editor, Fence literary magazine.
TELEVISION AND FILM INDUSTRIES
- Susan Aasen '80 -- Producer, ABC News Productions.
- Joe Whelan '84 -- Producer, Live Sports TV at Madison Square Garden.
- Carolyn Dahm Mulry '86 -- Vice President (New York) for 'Bel Films.
- Ben Odell '91 -- President, Panamax Films. Ben has also taught screenwriting and production at Columbia University and The New School.
- Michele Fazekas '93 -- Most recently, writer and consulting producer for Joss Whedon's Dollhouse.
- Pete Matson '01 -- President, Taquet Films.
- Chris Sepulveda, '03 -- Partner, Logolite Entertainment.