The history faculty offer a wide range of courses at the introductory, intermediate and advanced levels in American (North American, African American, Native American, Caribbean and Latin American), European, and Non-Western (Asian, Middle Eastern, and African) history, with additional opportunities for independent study in these areas as well as others not directly covered in the curriculum. The St. Lawrence Catalog lists these titles, among over 50 others, beyond the introductory level.
The department offers both a major and a minor. As a major you can construct a program that is flexible enough to enable you to pursue your own interests and goals while at the same time developing an appreciation of the diversity of human culture.
Requirements for History Majors:
- A minimum of ten history courses must be completed
- At least four courses (at any level) must be drawn from four of the following broad categories into which the history curriculum is divided:
- (a) Europe
- (b) North America
- (c) Africa
- (d) Asia
- (e) Middle East
- (f) Latin America and the Caribbean
- At least one course must be a 299 (Historical Research Methods)
- At least one course must be at the 300 level
- At least one of the ten courses must be a Senior Year Experience (SYE) that may be fulfilled by a 400-level research seminar involving a substantial research project, by the two-semester Honors Project, or by a 400-level independent study (see section titled "Independent Study and Research Opportunities" in the History Majors and Minors Handbook)
- No more than three courses at the introductory level may be credited toward the major
Requirements for History Minors:
To qualify for a minor in history the following minimum requirements must be met:
- At least six history courses, five of which must be at the intermediate or advanced level
- At least one of these courses must be a 299 (Historical Research Methods)
- At least one of these courses must be an SYE course
- Only one of these courses may be at the introductory level
- Among the minimum of six courses, not more than one may be an independent study (489,490) or an internship (481,482)
- Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in courses in the minor
For further information, please see the History Majors and Minors Handbook.