The department offers a major and minor in Religious Studies. Recently, we changed the requirements for the major and minor. Students who came to St. Lawrence University before Fall 2010 may follow the older requirements, and students beginning at St. Lawrence University during or after Fall 2010 should follow the new requirements.
Religious Studies Major Requirements (for students entering in Fall 2010 or later)
Ten units are required within the field of religious studies. Majors are required to take the following courses. With the permission of the department chair, certain courses outside the department may also count towards the major.
1. Religion 200: Explaining Religion (ideally taken in the sophomore year).
2. Three 200-level Survey courses, no more than two of which may be from the same religious world. A religious world is defined as one where different religious traditions have had longstanding historical contacts, and share or been extensively influenced by each others texts, doctrines, religious founders, ritual practices, myths, and ethical systems. Courses include the following: 221: Religious Life of India, 222: Buddhist Religious Traditions, 223: The Religious Life of China, 224: Islamic Religious Traditions, 225: Religious Traditions of Judaism, 226: The Religious Life of Japan, and 231: Christian Religious Traditions.
3. One course in scripture: 205: Introduction to the Hebrew Bible (In English) or 206: Introduction to the New Testament.
4. Two to three additional courses at the 200-level or above, at least one of these being at either the 300 (excluding 360) or 400-level.
5. Religious Studies 360: Majors Seminar (ideally taken in the spring semester of the junior year).
6. Senior-Year Experience (489/ 490). (Optional) This is a one-semester independent research project in which seniors explore a theme or topic of their choice with a faculty member of the department, preferably in the second semester of their senior year.
7. No more than one of the department's 100-level course offerings may be counted toward the major.
Minor Requirements (for students entering in Fall 2010 or later)
A minor consists of five courses in religious studies: Religion 200: Explaining Religion, two surveys of traditions drawn from different religious worlds (see #2, above), and two other courses of the student’s choice, only one of which may be a 100-level course.
Honors in Religious Studies (498,499)
To receive honors in religious studies, a student must satisfy the requirements for the major and, in addition, must meet the following two requirements: (1) a 3.5 cumulative GPA in the department and (2) a departmentally approved honors project taken as Religious Studies 498 and 499.