Two Undergraduate Minors in Education
- Required for teaching certification. Includes the Professional Semester (student teaching) in the senior year. By completing this minor, students may be recommended upon graduation for initial teaching certification in New York State and all reciprocating jurisdictions.
For those planning to become teachers, that allows students to complete their pre-requisite education courses as an undergraduate and their student teaching (Professional Semester) as a post-baccalaureate student (1 semester following graduation), or continue to complete their professional teaching certification for New York (3 semester commitment as graduate student);
- For students who do not intend to enter the Professional Semester (student teaching) as an undergraduate. Useful for broadly ranging studies in education. By completing specified prerequisite courses, students will be eligible to enter the Professional Semester following graduation.
Only available to full-time undergraduates at SUNY Potsdam through cross-registration for coursework at St. Lawrence. (Students may obtain detailed information about this special joint program from the Art Department at SUNY Potsdam.)
Professional (Student Teaching) Semester
- Teacher Education Handbook 2015-16.
- Professional Semester Application Form - Students intending to apply for the Professional Semester as seniors or as graduate students must submit this form with documentation outlined on the form by the appropriate due date.
- Student Teaching Master Calendar (Sample Fall)
- Student Teaching Master Calendar (Sample Spring)
Students wishing to minor in the Certification Minor, the Pre-Certification minor, or the Educational Studies minor must complete the Minor Declaration Form and return it to the Education Department, Atwood 20.
- Students interested in pursuing coaching certification in New York State may complete the necessary coursework at St. Lawrence University. These three courses are listed in the University's Undergraduate Catalog under the Department of Sport Studies and Exercise Science.
Data on Program Completers and Teacher Demand
- Teacher supply and demand data from the American Association for Employment in Education for the year 2012 indicates that there is low demand for teachers of 7-12 English and Social Studies while there is a high demand for teachers of 7-12 Biology, Chemistry, Math, and Spanish. Demand for school administrators and counselors are balanced.