Vilas Hall Reopened After Village Gas Leak
June 19, 2013 at 11 a.m.
Earlier Wednesday morning, a gas leak was discovered at the corner of Hillside Road and East Main Street in the Village of Canton. The gas leak forced the evacuation of Vilas Hall as well as village residents living on Hillside Road, Hillside Circle, and East Main Street. The remainder of the St. Lawrence University campus remained open. Only Vilas Hall was evacuated.
The gas leak was contained at about 10:15 a.m. At a little before 11 a.m., the Village Fire Chief gave the all-clear to reopen Vilas Hall, allowing personnel to return to their offices.
Personnel working in Vilas who were evacuated and left campus for the remainder of the day will not have a pay interruption if they left and were not able to return to work on Wednesday. All personnel from Vilas Hall should resume normal work schedule on Thursday. Please discuss any questions you may have with your supervisor or Human Resources.
Please follow emergency personnel instructions for further details about locations (East Main Street and Hillside) still evacuated.
June 19, 2013 at 10:15 a.m
Gas Leak on Main Street Forces Evacuation of Vilas Hall
A gas Leak Wednesday morning on East Main Street in the Village of Canton forces the evacuation of Vilas Hall as well as residents along Hillside Drive, Hillside Circle, and East Main Street.
The St. Lawrence University campus remains open, with the exception of Vilas Hall. Those with vehicles parked in Lot H should considering moving to another location.
As of 10:15 a.m., the gas leak has been contained. However, the evacuation orders remain in effect until further notice.
Please follow emergency personnel instructions for further details.