Ensure your safety: If you are in any danger, or if you believe you may soon be in danger, do not hesitate to call for help. Securing your immediate safety is the first priority.
- Safety & Security always has campus officers on duty (315-229-5555).
- You can reach the nearest police department by calling 911.
Reach out to someone: contact someone you trust for guidance and support. It can be someone you know, or someone on campus who is trained to help.
- A trained advocate at the 24-hour Sexual Violence Hotline (Advocates Program) (315-244-5466).
- A trained volunteer at St. Lawrence Valley Renewal House, a local organization (315-379-9845).
- REACHOUT of St. Lawrence County for crisis intervention (315-265-2422)
- A student trained as a Community Assistant (CA).
- A friend, mentor, or family member.
Seek medical care: ask to be examined for potential injuries and infections. You can also consider asking for evidence collection before washing or changing clothes.
- The Torrey Health and Counseling Services, at 76 Park St (M-F 8:30am-4:30pm).
- The Canton-Potsdam Hospital, at 50 Leroy Street, Potsdam (315-265-3300), ER open 24 hours. In Canton: 80 East Main St (M-F 4-9pm, Sat 9am-9pm, Sun 10am-6pm). (315-386-3300)
- For after-hours care, or for transportation, you can call Safety & Security (315-229-5555) or 911.
- Planned Parenthood of Canton (315-386-8821)
Consider Reporting the incident: making a report does not commit you to taking any disciplinary or legal action. You can provide only as much information as you wish.
- Safety & Security (315-229-5555) and the police (911) can take reports. Send an anonymous report to Security here: CLERY Anonymous Crime Report
- The Advocates program also provides an anonymous web form.
- Canton Village Police at 60 Main Street, Canton, (315-386-4561)
Seek counseling: if you experience emotional distress, talking to a counselor can be an important part of the healing process. Several types of counseling resources are available at the university.
- Counselors at The Torrey Health and Counseling Services (315-229-5392).
- Chaplains Kathleen Buckley (315-229-5256) and Shaun Whitehead (315-229-5062).
Consider disciplinary or legal action: if you decide to press charges, you can do so through the university, through the police, or both.