Intramural Broomball Rules
GAME TIME and TEAM ORGANIZATION:
1. All players (12 maximum on the bench per game) shall check in with the off ice official prior to the game.
2. Only one additional person who is not a participating player is allowed on the bench (ie. captain or coach).
3. All games will start on time according to the running clock.
4. There will be 5 regular players and 1 goalkeeper.
* The minimum number of players needed to start and continue a game is (4). Note: the other team can play full strength.
* If there are not 4 players, 5 minutes after the scheduled start time, the result is a forfeit.
o * Two forfeits result in expulsion from the league.
* No more than 3 men or 3 women will be allowed on the ice for any one team, even if playing down a person. Remember that this is a Co-ed League!
* Individuals may participate for only one team in any one sport or contest.
* Players may rotate at any time. No player shall enter the ice before another player on the same team has left the ice.
5. The game will consist of two 20-minute halves continuous running time. There will be a three minute intermission between halves, and the teams will switch ends at intermission
6. An official time out may be called for an injured player or for other circumstances deemed appropriate.
* No overtime will be played during tournament or league play. (playoffs only)
* Tied games will be decided by penalty shootout. The shoot out will follow a 1 round and compare format until the game has been decided.
* Teams may not use the same shooter twice until the whole bench has attempted a shot.
SEVEN GOAL MERCY RULE
* If at any time during a game a team secures a lead of seven (7) goals, the game will be halted with the leading team declared the winner.
1. Clean shoes must be worn -- if mud is tracked onto the ice, a forfeit will result.
2. Participants are allowed to wear soccer or (broomball) style shin pads only. Hockey style or similar shin pads are not allowed.
3. Any equipment used must be safe and may not have hard surfaces that could injure another player.
4. Cleats, spikes, ice grips, etc. may not be used.
5. Only intramural issued broomball sticks may be used.
Home team = red sticks / Visiting team = green sticks
1. May only handle the ball within the crease.
2. Entitled to use of the crease without interference.
3. May not hold the ball longer than three (3) seconds.
4. The inbound throw may be underhand, sidearm, or overhand, but may not travel past the centerline before bouncing on the ice.
1. Kicking the ball - LEGAL, but the ball must remain below the Plexiglas. A kicked ball may not score or cross more than two lines.
2. Face-off - Restarts play after a violation, a scored goal, or ball goes out of bounds.
3. Cherry Picking - LEGAL.
4. Handling the ball - Ball may be knocked to the ice with the hands. A shot may similarly be blocked using the hands. Any attempt to PASS the ball with the hands or to clear the ball will be blown dead. A face-off will be used to restart play.
5. Stick Use - The stick must remain in the hands of the player at all times and must only be used to play the ball.
6. Highsticking - ILLEGAL, any time the stick head rises above the waiste a 2 minute penalty will ensue.
7. Sliding - ILLEGAL, any time a player slides intentionally (off of feet), that player will be assesed a 2 minute penalty. A five minute penalty may be assesed if the slide was ruled intentional with the intent to knock down or hurt the other player.
8. Slapping or Hitting the Stick against the ice, boards, glass or goals will be a 2 minute penalty. A five minute penalty may be assessed if the stick is damaged and all damaged equipment will be credited from the students account.