Intramural Flag Football Rules
Please remember that Two forfeits result in expulsion from the league!
1. MINIMUM LINE PLAYERS: Flag Football (7-Man) = minimum of 4 players at snap. (If the Offense uses a man in motion and he comes from the line of scrimmage, there still must be the minimum players on the line at the snap.)
2. NO 2 on 1 blocking anywhere.
3. IF a ball carriers knee touches the ground, the ball is dead at the spot. One EXCEPTION: The holders knee can be up or down on an extra point or field goal.
4. DIVING: Diving to pull a flag or make a tag is legal. Diving to block is illegal. Diving to advance the ball is also illegal.
5. PASSER'S arm in motion and ball is in his hand: the passer is down if deflagged or legally touched.
6. SNAPS: All snaps that hit the ground are dead.
7. DIRECT SNAPS ARE LEGAL: EXCEPTION: On a declared punt, the punter must be at least 5 yards back, and must kick the ball immediately.
8. TOUCH: 2 hands simultaneously between shoulders and knees. FLAG: If flags fall off inadvertently, revert to 2-hand touch.
9. ONSIDE KICKS: There are NO Onside Kicks allowed.
10. PUNTS: If you want no rush, ask Referee for protection. NO one can move till the ball is kicked. Punts that hit the ground may be picked up and advanced.
11. FUMBLES: Dead at the spot. Muffs of Kickoff and Punts are dead at the spot.
12. CENTER: You cannot touch the center until he takes one step toward his pattern, or assumes a blocking position.
13. CHUCKING A RECEIVER: One (1) chuck off line is permitted from the line of scrimmage to 5 yards.
14. FORWARD PASS: Only one forward pass per down.
15. ROUGHING THE PASSER: An automatic 1st down, plus a 10 yard penalty. Penalty yardage will be tacked on to any gain. If the defender contact's the passer's arm, whether or not he/she touches the pass, it is roughing the passer.
16. EXTRA POINT & FIELD GOAL ATTEMPTS:
* There is no rushing between the guard and center.
* NO 3 or 4 point stances.
* The center cannot block, but is eligible.
* The holders knee can be up or down.
17. NO baiting or taunting of opponents either on the field or from the sidelines. PENALTY: 10 yards.
18. MUFF by the kicker on a declared punt is a dead ball. The kicker cannot pick it up and kick it.
19. NO spiking or throwing of the ball whether in anger or glee. PENALTY: 10 yards. NO WARNING!
20. OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE: Loss of down and 10-yard penalty assessed from the line of scrimmage.
21. THE BALL is NOT an extension of the arm.
22. HUDDLE clock is 25 seconds.
23. OBSTRUCTION OF THE RUNNER: The defensive player cannot hold, grasp or stop the forward progress of a runner in their attempt to pull a flag.
24. SAFETY: A kick after a safety can be a punt or a place kick. The kick will take place at the 20-yard line. The receiving team lines up on the 30-yard line. Treat the punt or place kick as a protected punt. Fumbles and muffs are dead at the spot.
25. WHEN A RECEIVER goes in the air for a catch near the sidelines, he must have at least one foot in bounds when he hits the ground.
26. A PLAYER on the line of scrimmage CANNOT receive the snap.
27. FLAG GUARDING is a 10-yard penalty and a loss of down.
A) When the Flag guarding is behind the line of scrimmage, the enforcement spot is the line of scrimmage.
B) When the flag guarding is beyond the line scrimmage, the enforcement spot is the spot of the foul.
28. BLOCKING down field when the ball is in the air, is an offensive pass interference penalty. It does not matter if the ball is behind the line of scrimmage or beyond.
29. POSITION of the ball when tagged or deflagged is the mark for the succeeding down.
30. IF A QB is not avoiding a sack, he can take the snap and immediately ground the ball by throwing it straight down to stop the clock under 2 minutes in the first half and under 2 minutes in the 4th quarter.
31. PROFANITY during the game will NOT be tolerated.
A) At the coin flip teams will be warned about profanity anywhere on the field and bench area.
B) First time offenders: Unsportsmanlike penalty.
C) Second time offenders: Ejection
32. ONLY one player can be in motion at the snap of the ball. Shifting is legal at any time. All players who shift still must reset for 1 second.
33. INADVERTENT WHISTLE: At the time of the inadvertent whistle, the team with possession of the ball has the option of replaying the down, or the result of the play.
34. EXTRA POINT ATTEMPT:
A) Any roughing of the kicker, holder or center is: 1. Automatic 10 yards on kickoff; 2. Choice of 1 or 2 from the 1 yard line; 3. Run, pass or kick from the 1 yard line for 1 or 2 points
B) Captain may change his mind on 1 point try from 3 yard line or 2 point try from the 10 yard line, if he has a time out.
35. PADDING RULE ADDITION:
A) Any exposed metal, like knee brace or ankle brace must be covered.
B) Casts are not allowed.
C) Pads that are used for medical reasons cannot be used as a weapon.
36. FIELD GOALS:
A) Field goals missed inside the 20, the placement spot is the 20-yard line.
B) Field goals missed outside the 20, the placement spot is the scrimmage line.
37. OVERTIME: 4 plays from the 20-yard line.
38. TURNOVER RULE:
A) During the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half only, all free kicks that follow a score must be returned by R to R's 20 yard line or further (after all penalties that occur have been assessed), or K shall receive the ball at K's own 35 yard line, 1st down and next zone line-to-gain (1st & 5).
B) If a touchback occurs during the last 2 minutes of the second half, it shall be R's ball 1st & 20 at R's 20-yard line.
C) If the free kick goes out of bounds between the 35-yard line and the goal line during the last 2 minutes, it shall be R's ball 1st & 5 at R's 35-yard line.
1. TD = 6 pts;
2. FG = 3 pts;
3. SAFETY = 2 pts
4. EXTRA POINTS =
* 1 pt (Run, pass or kick from 3 yard line) =
* 2 pt (Run, pass or kick from 10 yard line)
40. INTERCEPTION ON AN EXTRA POINT ATTEMPT:
A) May be returned by the defense for 2 points.
B) A blocked extra point attempt that does not hit the ground may be returned by the defense for 2 points.
C) If there is a penalty, after the interception or during the return of a blocked extra point attempt against K, and R does not score, R will be given one untimed down from the 10 yard line to attempt a 2 point conversion by either run, pass or kick!