Intramural Softball Rules
The rules of the National Federation of State High School Athletics Associations will apply in all cases except where special intramural rules apply.
1. All games will start on time according to the Officials Watch.
2. A 5-minute grace period will be allowed before a game is forfeited. The clock starts at the scheduled game time. If a team is not ready for play after 5 minutes, the game will be a forfeit. Teams must start their games with the time that has expired on the clock. Two forfeits result in expulsion from the league.
3. A game consists of 2 teams of up to 14 players each. A team may start with 8 players but the game will be forfeited if the number of players drops below 8.
4. Overtime only applies to playoff games, regular season games end in a tie.
1. Players are responsible for their own gloves.
2. The Intramural Program supplies balls, bats and a catchers mask for every game.
3. The first team listed on the schedule (left or top) wears light and the team on the right or bottom wears dark shirts.
4. No braces or supports that may cause other players harm will be permitted.
1. A game will consist of six (6) innings or forty-five (45) minutes whichever occurs first.
2. If the time limit expires, the game will be concluded at the end of the current inning.
3. Overtime (only during playoffs) will be played one inning at a time until a winner has been declared.
1. Improper language.
2. Unsportsmanlike conduct.
3. Committing a flagrant foul.
4. If a player is ejected from a game, they may be subject to a disciplinary hearing before the Intramural Director before they can participate in any intramural activity.
1. No bunting.
2. Players are given a (4) balls and three (3) strikes for the count. A foul ball that is not caught is considered a strike even on the third strike.
3. Teams may choose to bat ten (10) or twelve (12) players. If they choose twelve (12) they must finish the game with twelve (12).
4. Batting order must NOT change unless due to substitution. Once a player is substituted for, they cannot re-enter the game.
1. Slow pitch requires an arc that measures between 6 and 12 feet.
1. Runners may not leave the base until the pitched ball has crossed the plate.
2. Head First Sliding is illegal.
3. Courtesy runners are not allowed.
1. No fake tags.
1. Single Elimination Format with the number of teams advancing to the playoffs determined by the number of teams in each division.