What is the Shadow-a-Saint Program?
The Shadow-a-Saint program is designed to provide St. Lawrence students the opportunity to explore a variety of occupational interests. Students are matched with alumni volunteers in the geographical and career area of their interest and spend time shadowing and interacting with their mentor during the winter and/or summer break.
What are the available options for how a Shadow experience takes place?
There are two ways in which an alumni volunteer may sponsor a student for the Shadow-a-Saint program.
· Option one is an extended shadow in which you host the student for two to seven days (preferably within a week to two week period) providing them with an in-depth view of your job and industry, and allowing them to become more engaged with you, your work, and when possible, your colleagues.
· Option two is the traditional shadow experience in which you host the student for one day (whole or half day) explaining your job and industry, and exposing them to your work environment.
What will a extended shadow include (ideally):
· A description from the alumni sponsor prior to the start of the extended shadow outlining the type of experience the student can expect
· An experience that will benefit and engage the student in the professional world allowing the individual to better understand the industry and career
· Ongoing structured supervision from the alumni sponsor throughout the extended shadow
· Opportunities to observe and participate with professionals in action (staff meetings, client meetings, presentations, etc.)
· Opportunities to talk and network with colleagues in various positions
· An evaluation/reflection of the experience with the alumni sponsor at its conclusion
How do Shadow-a-Saint sponsors benefit from the program?
Alumni volunteers have enjoyed assisting students in learning about career options, gaining insight into organizations, and experiencing the work environment first-hand.They have been impressed with their student interactions and delighted to be engaged with motivated Laurentians.
What is the role of the Shadow sponsor?
Sponsors are expected to engage students and exchange ideas, while broadening the students understanding of your industry and organization. Students are interested in learning what your job is like on a typical, or not so typical, day.Students are not paid for their shadow experience.
Sponsors may offer suggestions regarding further exploration of career fields through internships and networking, or provide advice and guidance on the search process.
How do I volunteer to be a Shadow-a-Saint sponsor?
If you are interested in participating as a sponsor for either the extended shadow or the more traditional one-day shadow for Winter Break 2015/16, please complete the Shadow Volunteer Form.