The Stemler Civic Engagement Award, named for founder Lauren Elizabeth Stemler ’12, was created to recognize a St. Lawrence University student that has gone above and beyond to be actively engaged both on and off campus. Service was deeply engrained in Lauren’s experience at St. Lawrence University and helped her realize how much she loved being a Laurentian, as well as a member of the North Country. Lauren participated in many activities while on campus, but two of the most influential experiences include being a volunteer for the Next Step mentoring program for eight semesters and a Community Mentor for seven semesters. Lauren decided to create the Stemler Civic Engagement Award in May 2012 shortly after her own graduation as a meaningful way to give back to the institution that gave her so much.
This award will be given to one student each academic year. The winner will receive a $250.00 check to be used primarily for their education at St. Lawrence University or to enhance their service and civic engagement opportunities, leadership experiences, or professional development. The recipient of the award will be required to follow up and report what the funds were used for by October 1st of the year receiving the award. Any undergraduate student at St. Lawrence University is invited to apply for the award. See below for notes on the award requirements.
To apply for the Stemler Civic Engagement Award
The following materials are required for the applicant to be considered:
- Please complete the online application form
- A recommendation form from the Community Partner, Volunteer Coordinator or Supervisor that can speak to your service work on campus and in the North Country
- A recommendation form from another professional that can speak to your service work on campus and in the North Country (ex: an advisor, a Community Mentor, a professor, etc.)
- Evidence of 40 hours of service completed by April 15 of the current academic year – note: a sample form is available here, but any documentation is sufficient provided it has a signature from the individual that oversees your service work
- An updated Résumé
- Cover Letter (minimum of one page, single spaced) answering the following questions:
- Why you would be the best candidate for this award?
All materials must be submitted electronically (uploaded to the application form). The deadline to apply is Friday, April 15, 2016 by 5pm. For questions, please contact the Center for Civic Engagement firstname.lastname@example.org 315-229-5095 or stop by the office at Whitman Annex, Room 4.