International Iron Chef 2017
One Pan. One Hour. One Winner.
We’re inviting teams to cook a special international dish in the Dana Dining Hall on Tuesday March 28th.
We provide the ingredients*. You provide the team.
Prizes go to the winning team!
Contact Karen Smith firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and to enter.
- You must provide the full recipe in advance and by Monday 27th at 10am.
- All groups must prepare their item on the DAY of the competition in Dana Dining Hall.
- If you need to marinate your main ingredient you may do so a day ahead of time in Dana.
- Your entrée must be made in a sauté pan (skillet).
- Your recipe CANNOT contain any alcohol*.
- To boost the presentation of your entrée you may bring in an edible garnish (it MUST be edible) i.e. edible flower, parsley
- As part of your application please include a short write-up describing your dish and the cultural/historical significance of it. This is an important component of your application.
- Be prepared to present your entrée to the judges. Be sure to address the below criteria and discuss cultural relevance.
- We will provide animal or vegetable protein, vegetables, a starch and spices. Menus must be provided in advance and ingredients must be available locally.*
SLU International Iron Chef Schedule:
Tuesday March 28th, Dana Dining Hall, 5:00-6:30pm (cooking will begin at 5pm)
- 4:30pm: students arrive and start setting up
- 5pm: students begin cooking
- 6pm: Cooking ends
- 6:00-6:15pm: Students present to judges (five minutes each)
- 6:30pm: Judges deliberate and announce the winner!
The judges will critique you on:
- 1. Presentation: Is the entrée aesthetically pleasing? Does it catch the eye? Does the presentation stand out from the others?
- 2. Aroma: Does the entrée have a distinct scent or steam? Can you taste the entrée through your nose?
- 3. Taste: Is the food flavorful; salty or sweet, spicy or mild. Please look for a proper balance.
- 4. Texture: What is the texture of the entrée? Example: Crispy or soft, tender or tough, crunchy, stringy etc.
- 5. Finish: Were you satisfied with the dish? Did it have a positive after taste?