Photo Contest Regulations
Patti McGill Peterson Center for International and Intercultural Studies
Center for International and
There will be a photo contest for students who have participated in a SLU off-campus program (which includes all study abroad programs, the Adirondack Semester, the Washington Semester Program and Fisk University), a SLU course with a travel component a SLU Summer Course, or SLU-sponsored enrichment or research grant. Photographs will be used for promoting SLU off-campus programs and winning photographs will be displayed in Carnegie Hall.
Deadline: Monday, November 1, 2010
1. Landscape/Cityscape -- must be in the country in which SLU program/course/project is based
2. SLU student(s) involved in the host culture (hint: historically, not many photos have been submitted in this category, so your chances of winning are good. Another hint: SLU students standing and smiling in front of a building, sculpture, landmark or beautiful view doesn't show involvement in the host culture)
3. A small detail from your daily life (something you saw or passed each day, the neighborhood newspaper seller, the corner lamp post, your front door, etc.)
4. An academic or cultural component of the program (inside the classroom, favorite teacher, outdoor lecture, internship, host family, field trip)
Digital photos: Burn up to 3 full-sized photos from your digital camera to a CD. Please do not size-down. Label each photo with your name, category and country (e.g., Jim Smith, detail, Spain). Then include a word file on your CD with photo descriptions. Often, a good description makes a photo "come alive." Be sure to include the semester the photo was taken on, the location of photo, your name, class year, hometown and major.
Prints: If you submit prints (you used a film camera), they must be no smaller than 5"x7". Come to the CIIS office for entry forms for printed photos.
• All photos must be associated with a SLU program, travel course, SLU summer program or an enrichment or research grant sponsored by SLU.
• Photo must be taken by student submitting the entry.
• All entries will be anonymous when judged.
• Students may submit up to 3 photos total.
Prizes: For each of the four categories, there will be
1st place -- $40 cash prize; included in photo show
2nd place -- $20 gift certificate for Brewer Bookstore; included in photo show
Honorable mention - photograph will be included in a photo show