When a grant proposal is first awarded, the C&F Grants Office will work with you as the project director/PI and the Business Office to set up a new restricted grant account ("cost center") in the Ellucian accounting system based upon the approved project budget. The designated grant account must be used for all grant-related expenses. You will be responsible for monitoring grant spending and following the approved budget. The C&F Grants Office and Business Office staff will meet with you at the beginning of the project implementation period to review the budget and project spending needs and will provide budget oversight support during the grant terms.
All grant-related charges must be allowable, allocable, and reasonable and made in compliance with University procedures and policies. Detailed information on procedures and policies is provided on the Business Office website, along with commonly used forms. http://www.stlawu.edu/business
Project Director/PI Responsibilities
As Project Director/Principal Investigator (PD/PI), you are responsible for managing all aspects of your grant project. It is critical to maintain a positive relationship with your funder—not only to improve the likelihood of securing more support for own your work in the future, but also for your colleagues.
As PD/PI, you will need to ensure that:
- You implement the grant activities and work towards the outcomes as outlined in your proposal;
- You meet all deadlines for narrative and financial reports;
- Scientific research is conducted in a safe, responsible, and ethical manner;
- Student research assistants are properly trained and supervised;
- You monitor the performance of any subcontractors involved in your project; and
- You comply with all grant terms for acknowledgment, publicity, and dissemination of grant activities and outcomes.