The HEOP guidelines, developed by the State Department of Education are as follows:
- You must be a high school graduate or possess a state-approved equivalency diploma or its equivalent.
- You must be a resident of New York State for at least one year prior to enrollment in HEOP.
- You must meet both academic and economic guidelines as defined in the following sections.
- Student academic profile, including high school grades, and academic history would indicate that he/she would be non-admissible under St. Lawrence University's regular admissions standards.
- Student demonstrates potential for successful completion of the Undergraduate program for which he/she is applying.
- To be considered, the applicant must meet the economic criteria established by the New York State Education Department. All income must be verified by appropriate documentation.
- Reference to the economic guidelines need not be made if the applicant falls into one of the following categories, and documentation is available: a. the student or his/her family is a recipient of payment through a New York State County Department of Social Services; b. the student is living with foster parents who do not provide support for college, and no financial assistance is provided by the natural parents; c. the student is a ward of the state or county.