Stillwater Club Records

Stillwater Club Records

Collection Number: 
65
Collection Length: 
0.50ft
Geographic Coverage: 
St. Lawrence County; Adirondack Mountains
Period: 
1944 to 1958
Finding Aid: 

The Stillwater Club, an Adirondack hunting club, occupies 14,600 acres on the North and Middle Branch of the Grass River in the town of Clare, St. Lawrence County. It was founded by a group of men from Canton, New York on May 13, 1893, as a hunting and canoeing club; from its first days, the club showed an interest in conservation as a way to preserve its deer herds for future hunters and its trout for future fishermen. This collection has mainly two types of materials: photographs and notebooks. The notebooks contain such items as membership lists, payments for lodging at the club, lists of deer taken, club by-laws, and financial reports. The photographs are of members with the deer they shot, wildlife, guides, caretakers and cooks. Also included is a map of club lands.