You are here

Special Collections

This area contains 182 manuscript collections, comprising nearly 1800 linear feet of material, plus a number of individual manuscript items. Each of these collections is described in brief on ODYsseus the Libraries’ online catalog. Additionally, many have detailed finding aids, searchable here. Others will be added to this list as they are completed. If you find you have questions about the collections after you have read the catalog entries or finding aids, please contact us.

Mark McMurray, Curator of Special Collections and University Archivist Voice: (315) 229-5476 e-mail: mcm@stlawu.edu

Paul Haggett, Assistant to the Archivist Voice: (315) 229-5956 e-mail: phaggett@stlawu.edu

  • Collection Number: 115
    Collection Length: 0.25ft
    Period:

    Late 19th century [?] manuscript of children's Christmas stories signed by L. Fidelia Woolley Gillette and Florence L. Gillette.

    Finding Aid: MSS115fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 12
    Collection Length: 3.25ft
    Period: 1801 to 1870

    Christopher Ripley came to Northern New York about 1827 from Ohio and established the C. Ripley and Company in Ogdensburg which lasted three years. He then took employment with Molson Davies and Company in Montreal (Commission Merchants) as their agent obtaining consignments for wheat, flour, beef and pork in the State of Ohio. In 1836 Ripley purchased Matildaville (now Colton) from George Parish. Ripley was unable to resell the land and spent his remaining years trying to recoup his losses. Ripley attended West Point and became a Major-General during the Civil War.

    Finding Aid: MSS12fa_0.pdf
  • Collection Number: 85
    Collection Length: 0.25ft
    Period: 1864 to 1865

    Civil War diary of an unknown soldier. The diary covers August 1, 1864 - May 31, 1865.

    Finding Aid: MSS85fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 60
    Collection Length: 91.00ft
    Period: 1820 to 1967

    The Clark family has North Country roots that go back to Edwin Clark, who settled in the then village of Ogdensburgh in 1820.  His wife, Sarah Hasbrouck Clark, was the first clerk of St.

    Finding Aid: MSS60fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 103
    Collection Length: 0.50ft
    Period: 1806

    Clinton County is the most northern of the Champlain Valley counties and became a county March 7, 1788. Clinton County is bordered on the north by Canada, on the south by Essex County, on the east by Lake Champlain, and on the west by Franklin County. The county has approximately 21 towns and villages with the county seat in Plattsburgh. This collection consists of exhibition catalogues, photo booklet of Lake Champlain, several articles and brochures and a map of French and English grants on Lake Champlain.

    Finding Aid: MSS103fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 127
    Collection Length: 1.50ft
    Period: 1989 to 1991

    COLAF was a social action group formed by private citizens in St Lawrence County, NY in January of 1989 in response to proposals made by the Strategic Air Command (SAC) to use the airspace above St. Lawrence County as a Low Altitude Flight training grounds. The plan was for B-52 bombers and FB-111 fighter-bombers to cross the Adirondacks and enter St. Lawrence Country at altitudes as low as 500 feet above ground level. The purpose of COLAF was "to educate the citizens of St.

    Finding Aid: MSS127fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 138
    Collection Length: 0.25ft
    Period: 1863 to 1864

    Columbus Huntly was a resident of Potsdam, NY who enlisted in the United States Army November 21, 1861. Huntly held the position of private in the 92nd New York State Infantry. He participated in the battle of Fort Anderson (March 13-15, 1863) and was stationed there during the following months. The 92nd Infantry was organized at Potsdam, N.Y., and mustered in January 1, 1862. They then left state for Washington, D.C., March 5, 1862 and participated in many battles such as the Battle of Williamsburg, the Battle of Fort Anderson, and the Battle of Fair Oaks.

    Finding Aid: MSS138fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 165
    Collection Length: 11.85ft
    Period: 1999 to 2010

    Community Energy Services was registered with the New York State Department of State in August of 2000 following a series of meetings led by the St. Lawrence County Planning Office.

    From 2001 to 2010, CES sought to reduce energy usage in North Country buildings and lower energy costs for residents, homeowners and public entities, with an emphasis on low to moderate income households.

    Finding Aid: MSS165fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 96
    Collection Length: 0.25ft
    Period: 1867 to 1960

    The Comstock Patent Medicine Company was located in Morristown, St. Lawrence County, N.Y. The collection consists of a printed history of the company by Robert B. Shaw, four metal plates used to print labels for the medicines, and a container of pills sold by a competitor of the company.

    Finding Aid: MSS96fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 41
    Collection Length: 0.50ft
    Period: 1601 to 1957

    Courtland Smithers was born March 20, 1881 in Oswegatchie and moved to Heuvelton with his family in 1888 where he remained for the rest of his life. He worked in the family grocery and bakery store. In later years he went into the coal business, the poultry business and finally a prominent milk dairy farmer from 1916-1946. He was instrumental in starting Poultry Shows and Cattle Shows in the area. He married in 1902. Mr. Smithers was crippled by rheumatism for many years and turned to writing genealogies of many local families and a book "History of Heuvelton and Vicinity".

    Finding Aid: MSS41fa_0.pdf
  • Collection Number: 31
    Collection Length: 0.50ft
    Period: 1814 to 1970

    Cranberry Lake is part of the network of lakes and ponds, connected by streams and canoe-carry trails, which stretch across the central and western plateau of the Adirondacks known as the Lake Region. Cranberry is the third largest body of water in the Adirondack Park; it was nearly doubled in size by the completion of a dam in the spring of 1867. Cranberry Lake region is known for its hunting, fishing, logging and summer camps. This collection was donated by Atwood Manley and consists of his research files and correspondence on the region.

    Finding Aid: MSS31fa_0.pdf
  • Collection Number: 139
    Collection Length: 0.75ft
    Period: 1862 to 1867

    Julius and Marcus Crossman were residents of Pierrepont, NY during the outbreak of the Civil War. Both men enlisted on Aug. 29, 1862 into the 142nd Regiment of the New York State Volunteer Army. Both brothers were stationed all over the state of Virginia during their duty, along with other men from Pierrepont. Julius died of typhoid fever in 1863 while in military service. This collection consists of 62 original letters, most of which have typed transcripts. The letters date from 1862 through 1867. Julius, Marcus, or Matilda Crossman wrote the majority of the letters to one another.

    Finding Aid: MSS139fa_1.pdf
  • Collection Number: 177
    Collection Length: 0.25ft
    Period:

    Cuneiform is one of the earliest forms of writing, appearing in the Middle East around 3000 BCE. Symbols were impressed into clay tablets using a stylus. Many forms of cuneiform were developed by a number of cultures over approximately three millennia, until other forms of writing came into use.

  • Collection Number: 148
    Collection Length: 4.25ft
    Period: 1977 to 1993

    Current, The Journal of North Country Action was founded in 1985 as an outgrowth of local dissatisfaction with press coverage on issues of critical importance to Residents of New York State's North Country. Conceived under the umbrella of a progressive coalition group, Current evolved into an independent, non-profit publishing cooperative dedicated to providing commercial-free, reader-supported regional news and commentary on a bi-monthly basis. These records include Administrative records, Environmental and Human Rights newspaper clippings, Magazines, Scrapbooks and Videotapes.

    Finding Aid: mss148fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 68
    Collection Length: 2.00ft
    Period: 1937 to 1957

    Archie Wright was born July 25, 1891 in Westville, New York and died December 24, 1967 in Ogdensburg, N.Y. He attended Ogdensburg Free Academy. He served as president of the Farmers Union of the New York Milkshed from its beginnings in 1941 until his resignation on January 1, 1957. Before that he was the President of the Dairy Farmers Union of the State of N.Y. during the 1930's. Mr. Wright was the editor and publisher of the "Northeastern Union Farmer" and had a weekly radio talk show.

    Finding Aid: MSS68fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 102
    Collection Length: 1.00ft
    Period: 1873 to 1881

    Lelon Ansil Doolittle was born July 22, 1853 in Russell, St. Lawrence County, NY. He was educated in Russell, St. Lawrence University Class of 1875 and at the University of Wisconsin where he studied law. Lelon died in July 1930 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Betsey (Bessie) Adams Weeks was born April 20, 1851 in Vermont, she was educated in Rutland, Vermont and St. Lawrence University Class of 1876. She married Lelon Doolittle May 4, 1880 in Wisconsin. She died April 25, 1927 in Wisconsin. The collection consists of correspondence between Lelon and Betsey from 1873 to 1881.

    Finding Aid: MSS102fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 113
    Collection Length: 4.50ft
    Period: 1948 to 1966

    Douglas M. Black was president of Doubleday and Co., publishers of Dwight D. Eisenhower's Crusade in Europe. The collection consists of correspondence covering the postwar period and largely concerns Eisenhower's publications with Doubleday. Also includes social correspondence from Mamie. Finding aid available at repository.

    Finding Aid: MSS113fa_0.pdf
  • Collection Number: 124
    Collection Length: 1.00ft
    Period: 1954 to 1959

    Eleanor Jane Lahey Dumas (1916-1997) was employed with the Massena Observer until her marriage and later became a Watertown Daily Times Massena correspondent in the early 1940s. Mrs. Dumas covered Northern New York and Southern Ontario until her retirement in 1976. Eleanor is most noted for covering high profile events in the North Country, such as Eleanor Roosevelt's visit to St. Lawrence University in 1955 and the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway and Power Dam from 1954-1959.

    Finding Aid: MSS124fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 57
    Collection Length: 15.00ft
    Period: 1912 to 1974

    Dwight "Dippy" P. Church was born in Canton, St. Lawrence County, N.Y. in 1891 and resided there until his death in 1974. He owned and operated the $5 Photo Company for sixty years. Mr. Church was one of the first mail-order film processors and later specialized in aerial photography, photographing farms and businesses, selling the pictures to the owners. Dwight owned a successful post card business selling them in local towns, and was an active canoe racer, swimmer, gymnast, skater and hiker. The collection consists of over 13,000 negatives and some prints.

    Finding Aid: MSS57fa_0.pdf
  • Collection Number: 10
    Collection Length: 0.25ft
    Period: 1957 to 1972

    Edmund Wilson, American literary and social critic, was born in Red Bank, New Jersey in 1895. He graduated from Princeton University in 1916. In 1920 he became the managing editor of "Vanity Fair", and later was on the staffs of the "New Republic" (1926-31) and "New Yorker" (1944-48). Wilson is the author of many books of satiric verse, fiction, drama, history, literary criticism, and social commentary (see our online catalogue for our holdings of Wilson's books).

    Finding Aid: MSS10fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 104
    Collection Length: 0.50ft
    Period: 1833

    Essex County the second largest county in New York State, is the most mountainous of the counties and became a county March 1, 1799. Essex County is bordered on the north by Clinton and Franklin Counties, on the south by Warren County, and the east by Lake Champlain and on the west by Hamilton County. The county has approximately 25 villages and towns with the county seat in Elizabethtown. The collection consists of a 1948 Guide to County and Town officials and a 1853 New York State Agricultural Society Magazine Vol. XII - supplement to the Report on the Survey of Essex County.

    Finding Aid: MSS104fa_0.pdf
  • Collection Number: 120
    Collection Length: 0.50ft
    Period:

    Collection of eight illuminated parchment scrolls and one illuminated parchment codex in Geez and Amharic, pertaining to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, from the late 19th or early 20th century. This collection was acquired in 1998.

  • Collection Number: 35
    Collection Length: 3.00ft
    Period: 1839 to 1964

    Fort Covington was erected from Constable, February 28, 1817, and in the formation of Bombay, reduced to its present limits. Its name is derived from Brig. Gen. Leonard Covington of Maryland who died near Cornwall and was buried on Covington Hill in 1813. The village is east of Salmon River, half a mile from the boundary of the St. Lawrence River.

    Finding Aid: MSS35fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 36
    Collection Length: 0.25ft
    Period: 1984 to 1985

    Fort Drum has been used as a military training site since 1908 when it was known as Pine Camp. The first major expansion of Pine Camp came with the outbreak of WWII. Pine Camp became Camp Drum in 1951, named after Lt. Gen. Hugh A. Drum who commanded the First Army during World War II. The post was designated Fort Drum in 1974 and a permanent garrison was assigned. In April 1980, B. Company, 76th Engineer Battalion was reassigned here from Fort Meade, Md. On September 11, 1984 it was announced that Fort Drum would become the new home of the 10th Light Infantry Division.

    Finding Aid: MSS36fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 9
    Collection Length: 1.25ft
    Period: 1852 to 1963

    Francis (Frank) Everington Kip was born October 10, 1835 in Watertown, New York. Frank was one of the many men to go to California in search of gold (1852-1856). Frank Kip joined the 11th New York Cavalry and was killed (April 18, 1865) during the last few days of the Civil War in Germantown. The collection consists primarily of correspondence between Frank Kip and his family while he was in California searching for gold. Also included are deeds, wills, abstracts, photographs, a diary, and genealogical information on the Kip family (Hendrik, Albert P., Henry deValcourt, and Benjamin).

    Finding Aid: MSS9fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 59
    Collection Length: 5.00ft
    Period: 1883 to 1960

    The Frank family was a prominent Ogdensburg, New York family active in business and civic life for over 100 years. Julius Frank was mayor, and a member of the Chamber of Commerce.

    Finding Aid: MSS59fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 62
    Collection Length: 12.00ft
    Period: 1874

    Frank Peter Piskor, former president of St. Lawrence University, first met Robert Frost at the Bread Loaf School of English while Dr. Piskor was a student at Middlebury College in the mid-1930s. He collected materials by and about Frost in a variety of formats. The collection consists of correspondence, newspaper and periodical articles, manuscripts, poems written by other poets on the occasion of Frost's death, stamps, medals, photographs, drawings, phonorecords, audio- and videotapes relating to Robert Frost and his family and to his friends Philip Booth and Edward Thomas.

    Finding Aid: MSS62fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 63
    Collection Length: 1.25ft
    Period: 1897 to 1964

    Edwin Arlington Robinson, American poet, was born December 22, 1869 at Head Tide, Maine and died in New York City, April 6, 1935. He was educated at local schools and attended Harvard University 1891-1893 leaving after his sophomore year; he never married. He moved to New York City in 1895. Theodore Roosevelt helped him get a clerkship in the New York Customs House where he worked until 1910. Robinson won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry three times in the 1920's. The collection was donated by Frank P. Piskor - President of St. Lawrence University from 1969-1981.

    Finding Aid: MSS63fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 105
    Collection Length: 0.50ft
    Period: 1829

    Franklin County is the most northern county of New York State and became a county March 11, 1808. Franklin county is bordered on the north by Canada, on the south by Essex and Hamilton Counties, on the east by Clinton County and on the west by St. Lawrence County. The county has approximately 21 villages and towns with the county seat in Malone. The collection consists of photobook of Loon Lake House, booklets, flyers, and programs on various functions in the county, and a copy of an 1831 newspaper "The Northern Spectator".

    Finding Aid: MSS105fa.pdf
  • Collection Number: 8
    Collection Length: 26.00ft
    Period: 1874 to 1930

    Frederic Remington was born October 4, 1861 in Canton, New York. He was educated at the Vermont Episcopal Institute and attended Yale University. He worked as a cowboy, scout, and ran a sheep and mule ranch in the west. He married Eva Caten on October 1, 1884. Remington was a painter, sculptor and illustrator of Indians, cowboys and the American soldier at war. His travels took him to Germany, Russia, North Africa, Cuba and all over North America. Frederic Remington died December 26, 1909 in New Rochelle, New York from peritonitis following an appendectomy.

    Finding Aid: MSS8fa.pdf

Pages