Town of Colton Collection

Town of Colton Collection

Collection Number: 
46
Collection Length: 
1.50ft
Period: 
1844 to 1933
Finding Aid: 

On April 12, 1843 Colton became the 27th town of St. Lawrence County. In 1842 Colton village was called Matildaville when Abel Brown and his son James moved from Parishville to the west side of the Racquette River. Colton is named for Jesse Colton Higley, a pioneer who settled on the east side of the Racquette River and was instrumental in the formation of the township, serving in every public office available. Colton was the site of many sawmills, a potato starch factory, and one of the largest tanneries in the state. This collection consists of an assessment roll for 1868, voting registers of general elections, a 1919 Ballot, mortgages, and receipts of paid bills.