Kelsey Redpath '11, with some of the materials for her internship
Through an internship, Kelsey Redpath '11, of Norwich, VT, is helping Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center in Ogdensburg preserve and celebrate its history.
Redpath, a sociology major with a minor in Caribbean and Latin American studies, is particpating in an internship with the medical center and the Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center Foundation, working on gathering and organizing materials to document its history and publish a book.
The oldest hospital in St. Lawrence County, Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center opened in 1885 as the Ogdensburg City Hospital and Orphan Asylum. Although always a community-owned organization, it was managed by the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart until 1976. The hospital's name changed twice: in 1918 to A. Barton Hepburn Hospital to honor the local banker, donor and St. Lawrence University benefactor; and in 2000 to Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center to recognize an exceptional gift from its own Dr. E. Garfield Claxton. Dr. Claxton died in 2002; his widow, Helena, is St. Lawrence Class of 1927. The hospital was also at one time the home of a nursing school, with its first graduating class in 1905 and its last in 1968.
With volunteers from the hospital, foundation and nursing school alumnae association, Redpath is organizing photographs from the organization's own archives and also from photos donated to the program by members of the community and from library archives.
Redpath is a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma and the women's lacrosse team.
Posted: April 14, 2011