Records: Academic Petition
~ ~ ~
Academic Petitions Committee
Petitions must be submitted by 12:00 p.m. Friday for consideration during the same week.
Students occasionally experience extenuating circumstances that interfere with their intent to follow rules and procedures regarding various facets of University life. Students may also find confusing or unacceptable an interpretation of a rule or procedure as applied to their individual situation. The academic petitions committee meets weekly during the fall and spring semesters to discuss requests by students to consider exceptions to University policy regarding schedule changes, course grade options, distribution requirements and graduation requirements. Appropriate documentation and academic advisor and/or course instructor substantiation of claims to extenuating circumstances must be provided by the petitioning student. Information about the petition procedure is available from the chair of the academic petitions committee or the registrar.
Academic Petition Guidelines
Petitions that do not meet the following guidelines will be tabled and sent back to the student for completion.
- Provide all your student information; don’t leave any blanks.
- Mark the check box associated with the type of petition you are submitting.
- Obtain all required signatures as follows:
- Academic Advisor for ALL petitions
- Department Chair for Waivers of Maximum Units in Major
- Consider the importance of this petition and attach a TYPED letter that clearly states your purpose and rationale. Hand written letters will not be accepted.
- Sign and date your petition.
- In accordance with the type of Academic Petition, attach: supporting statement(s) by faculty/staff member(s); other documentation as the individual case warrants; other completed documents as follows:
- Add/Drop Form for Late Schedule Change Petitions
- Withdrawal Form for Course Withdrawal Petitions
- Pass/Fail Form for Pass/Fail Petitions
- Explanation for tardiness for Missed Deadline Petitions
- Explanation of extenuating circumstances for Repeat Course Request Petitions
- Include student name and student identification number on all documentation. Please staple all documentation to the petition form.
- An appeal of an action may be made under certain conditions on an Academic Appeal form. Appeals will NOT be considered without additional considerations and documentation.
- Please contact the Associate Dean for Academic Advising Programs at (315) 229-5964 for consultation as you compose your petition.
- Submit petitions and appeals to the Registrar’s Office.
- Actions on Academic APPEALS may be forwarded the student’s CMR or St. Lawrence University email account.