Every fall and spring semester the Office of Residence Life coordinates the CA Selection process. During this process we look for students that will show "both a strong commitment to the residential experience as a community member and a sincere interest in each student as an individual" (CA Job Description). Essentially, we are looking for student leaders that will help continue a tradition of positive community development while also helping others grow in their time at SLU.
While we have many of our CAs return from year to year, we are always thrilled to have new CAs join our fantastic team. If you are interested in becoming a CA, pay attention for informational emails, posters, and SLU Wire announcements with details about the application process. The dates and deadlines are different each semester, but applicants must complete the same steps to be considered. The steps for New-Hire Applicants are:
- Fill out a CA Application for New Hires which includes two short essay questions, a copy of your resume, and 3 references
- Attend one of the Group Process Nights hosted by the entire Residence Life team
- If applicable, complete an individual interview with 1 current CA and 1 current RC (Residential Coordinator)
- Wait to hear back within a couple weeks.
At the start of each CA Selection process, more information is added to the bottom of this page. Please reach out to Lauren Stemler if you have questions about any CA Selection Process.
Currently Studying Abroad?
If you are currently abroad and are interested in becoming a CA when you return you are certainly able to apply. If you have been a CA/applied to be a CA before going abroad you would simply complete the CA Application for Re-Hires or the Repeat Applicant Renewal of Interest Form. If you have not been a CA before you would still complete the CA Application for New Hires and then you would participate in a Skype interview with a few professional staff members and a current CA. If you have any questions about this process please contact Lauren Stemler.
Fall 2014 CA Selection Process - Hiring CAs to Start in January 2015
If you are interested in applying for a CA Position that would begin in Spring 2015, the applications will be available starting on 10/01/14. All applications and supplemental materials are due by 10/29/14 at 4:00pm. There are three different applications, so please complete the appropriate application based on the following descriptions:
- New-Hires -- This application is intended for individuals that have never applied to be a CA before. To be considered for a CA Position, applicants in this category must complete the New-Hire Application (which includes two short essay questions, a copy of your resume, and three references) and sign up for one Group Process Night experience. The Group Process Nights will take place in early November and some candidates may be invited to an individual interview following this group interview. Note: Current First-Year students will need to wait until the Spring 2015 CA Selection Process begins to apply for a CA Position.
- Repeat Applicants -- This "Repeat Applicant Renewal of Interest Form" is available to individuals that have applied to be a CA before but were not able to join the team at that time. Our CA Alternates and CA Alternates with Training are especially encouraged to apply again using this application process. To be considered for a CA Position, applicants in this category must complete the Repeat Applicant Renewal of Interest Form (which includes three short essay questions and a copy of your resume). Once your application has been received we will reach out to schedule an interview. Depending on the applicant, additional information may be required and/or accepted.
- Re-Hires -- This application is available to all individuals that have served as a CA at St. Lawrence University. Individuals that recently left a CA position to go abroad are especially encouraged to apply. To be considered for a CA Position, applicants in this category must complete the Re-Hire Application, which includes two short essay questions and an updated resume. Interviews may be requested if deemed necessary by the CA Selection Committee and/or CA Selection Coordinator.
The Office of Residence Life will hold four information sessions to help explain the CA position, the CA application process, and answer questions. Here are the dates and times for these CA Information Sessions:
- 10/13 at 6:00pm – Monaco Room, Student Center Room #242
- 10/14 at 8:00pm – Monaco Room, Student Center Room #242
- 10/15 at 7:00pm – Student Center Room #336
- 10/20 at 7:00pm – Carnegie Hall Room #107
We are happy to meet with prospective CA Candidates individually if these information meeting times do not work with your schedule. If you have specific questions about the CA Selection Process that you would like to discuss, please contact Lauren Stemler.