Every fall and spring semester the Office of Residence Life coordinates the CA Selection process. During this process we look for students that will show "both a strong commitment to the residential experience as a community member and a sincere interest in each student as an individual" (CA Job Description). Essentially, we are looking for student leaders that will help continue a tradition of positive community development while also helping others grow in their time at SLU.
While we have many of our CAs return from year to year, we are always thrilled to have new CAs join our fantastic team. If you are interested in becoming a CA, pay attention for informational emails, posters, and SLU Wire announcements with details about the application process. The dates and deadlines are different each semester, but applicants must complete the same steps to be considered. These steps are:
- Fill out a CA Application for New Hires which includes two short essay questions, a copy of your resume, and 3 references
- Complete an individual interview with 1 current CA and 1 current RC (Residential Coordinator)
- Attend one of the Group Process Nights hosted by the entire Residence Life team
- Wait to hear back within a couple weeks of the Group Process Nights
If you are currently abroad and are interested in becoming a CA when you return you are certainly able to apply. If you have been a CA before going abroad you would simply complete the CA Application for Re-Hires. If you have not been a CA before you would still complete the CA Application for New Hires and then you would participate in a Skype interview with a few professional staff members and a current CA. If you have any questions about the CA Selection Process please contact Lauren Stemler.
Spring 2014 CA Selection Process - Applications will open on 12/16/13
If you are interested in applying for a CA Position that would begin in Fall 2014, the applications will be available starting on 12/16/13. There will be three different applications, so please complete the appropriate application based on the following descriptions:
- New-Hires -- This application is intended for individuals that have never applied to be a CA before. All current first-years interested in a CA position will need to complete this application. To be considered for a CA Position, applicants in this category must complete the New-Hire Application (which includes two short essay questions, a copy of your resume, and three references), sign up for an individual interview time with one RC and one CA by 1/31/14 at 4:00pm, and sign up for one Group Process Night experience by 1/31/14 at 4:00pm. The interviews and Group Process Nights will take place in early February.
- Repeat Applicants -- This "Repeat Applicant Renewal of Interest Form" is available to individuals that have applied to be a CA before but were not able to join the team at that time. Our CA Alternates and CA Alternates with Training are especially encouraged to apply again using this application process. To be considered for a CA Position, applicants in this category must complete the Repeat Applicant Renewal of Interest Form (which includes four short essay questions and a copy of your resume) and sign up for an individual interview time with two RCs by 1/31/14 at 4:00pm. The interviews will take place in early February. Depending on the applicant, additional information may be required and/or accepted. Please reach out to Lauren Stemler, CA Selection Coordinator, if you have questions about this process.
- Re-Hires -- This application is available to all individuals that have served as a CA at St. Lawrence University. Current CAs and individuals that recently left a CA position to go abroad are especially encouraged to apply. To be considered for a CA Position, applicants in this category must complete the Re-Hire Application, which includes two short essay questions and an updated resume. Interviews may be requested if deemed necessary by the CA Selection Committee and/or CA Selection Coordinator.
There are also a few other positions available that are slightly different from the typical CA role. If you are interested in any of the following positions you will need to complete a regular CA Application and fill out the appropriate supplemental questions page (or pages if you are interested in multiple positions). There are three of these positions:
- Housing Coordinator
- London CA
- Townhouse Manager
More information on these positions will be provided once the application period begins.
The Office of Residence Life will hold four information sessions to help explain the CA position, the CA application process, and answer questions. These dates are still being determined and will be posted in early January on this site and on SLUWire. If you have specific questions about the CA Selection Process that you would like to discuss sooner, please contact Lauren Stemler.