Summer Community Assistant 2013
Description: The Summer Community Assistant is a live-in position. The primary responsibilities of this position, include - but are not limited to - participation in an on-call rotation, helping with openings and closings, the provision of administrative support, assisting with maintenance concerns, and providing programmatic opportunities to Summer Term and Research students living on campus.
Duties: It is imperative that the Summer Community Assistant be accessible to residents, staff, and other campus departments. Applicants for this position should expect that there will be times when immediate action by the CA is necessary. However, given the length and nature of this position, the Summer Community Assistant is also encouraged to find an appropriate balance between accessibility and private/personal time.
Expectations for the Summer CA, include:
- Serving as a role model and maintaining a civil community.
- Participating in a two person on-duty rotation lasting from 8:00pm-7:00am for the duration of the summer term and while research students are on campus (June 4th – August 2nd). Please note: Duty includes rounds in living areas, overseeing kitchen areas, and maintaining quiet hours.
- Meeting with Summer RC or supervisor on a weekly basis. For example, past Summer CAs and the Summer RC would meet every Monday morning at 10am, but this could be adjusted if needed.
- Carrying an on-call phone that is charged and in working order at all times.
- Informing residents about residential issues, University policies, and procedures.
- Documenting and reporting incidents to Summer RC or supervisor in a timely manner.
- Maintaining up- to-date room rosters and housing forms.
- Reporting maintenance concerns to Facilities using online work order system.
- Maintaining Room Condition Reports (RCRs) for residents.
- Assisting in fire drills.
- Participating in openings and closing for summer session and the townhouses. Opening is at noon on Monday, June 3rd. Closings happen on Wednesday, July 3rd and Friday, August 2nd. Participation in all three events is required for the Summer CA position.
- Completing other duties as assigned
Compensation: Community Assistant compensation equals the cost of the summer housing rate. CAs are given a room wavier for their compensation.
Length of employment: The Summer CA position officially begins Monday, June 3rd at 9 A.M. and concludes on Sunday, August 4th. Summer CAs can make arrangements to arrive on Sunday, June 2nd by contacting the office in advance.
Minimum Qualifications: The successful applicant must have participated in at least one Fall CA training experience and be a current CA in good standing with the University. Candidates should be responsible, enthusiastic, and motivated.
Application: Due Date: Friday, April 19, 2013. Please submit applications by 4:00pm. Applications submitted after 4:00pm will be considered late and may not be considered for the position. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted, as needed.
**Please note: The Summer 2014 CA Position information will be posted and updated after Spring Break. If you have questions in the meantime, please contact Lauren Stemler.