When are my bills mailed and when are they due?

Undergraduate students: Bills for the fall semester will be available online in July. Payment due date is August 10. The bills will reflect financial aid awarded to those students who have applied for financial aid and have submitted all required documents. (Bills for the spring semester are available on line in December with January 10 as the payment due date.) The fall and spring semester bills will also be mailed to students at their home addresses. Charges incurred during the academic year are billed mid-month (except May and November) and are due on the 10th day of the following month. To review your bill on-line click here.

Graduate students: Students are billed mid month (except May and November) for courses in which they have registered during the last 30 days. Payment to the University is due upon receipt. Interest of 1% per month will be assessed on all balances past due by 30 days or more.

What if I can't pay the amount owed by the due date?

The University has a monthly payment option administered by Tuition Management Systems which allows payments for undergraduate tuition and fees pertaining to the regular academic year to be made over a period of time up to one year. The plan carries no finance charges, but does require an enrollment fee of $60. Enrollment information is available here.

Can I pay my tuition with a credit card?

As of December 1, 2012, St. Lawrence does not accept credit card for payment of tuition and fees.

How do I receive a refund of a credit balance?

Requests for refunds may be submitted to the Student Financial Services staff or by phone (315-229-5581). Requests must be submitted by 2:00 p.m. Tuesday for a check to be produced by Friday after 12:30 p.m. If the credit is fully or partially due to a payment made by a parent, a refund check will be issued and mailed to the parent at their home address unless a parent notifies the Student Financial Services staff that the check should be forwarded directly to the student. If a credit balance is solely due to student aid, the refund check will be mailed to the student's SMC box.

Do I have to purchase the health insurance offered by St. Lawrence?

All undergraduate students and full time graduate students will be enrolled and billed for the St. Lawrence University Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan administered by Gallagher Koster, and insured by Gerber Life Insurance Company. For the 2012-2013 academic year, students insured by a family plan with equivalent coverage may waive coverage in the St. Lawrence plan by submitting an online waiver form after June 4, 2012 and no later than August 10, 2012. Click here for more information.

I will be living in a sorority house. Will the bill from St. Lawrence University include room and board charges?

That depends on which sorority house you will live in. Listed below are each of the greek organizations at St. Lawrence University and whether or not the University bill includes room and board charges for the students living in the respective houses. Non-members living in University owned greek houses remain on the campus meal plan. Newly activated members will remain on the campus meal plan until the semester after they join the organization. Charges not billed by St. Lawrence University are collected from the students by the fraternity or sorority.

Sororities' Billing Info:

  • Chi Omega: SLU only charges for board
  • Delta Delta Delta: SLU does not charge for room or board
  • Kappa Delta Sigma: SLU only charges for room
  • Kappa Kappa Gamma: SLU does not charge for room or board

How can I get enrollment verification as required by family health insurance providers and some outside scholarship agencies?

Enrollment verification may be obtained by clicking here.

Who should I call if I have questions about fines or other miscellaneous charges on my bill?

The North Country Savings Bank branch located in the Student Center can accept payments for these types of charges, but does not have detailed information regarding the charges and is not authorized to adjust or cancel them. If you have questions or concerns regarding such charges, you should refer to the following list to determine who to contact for additional information.

Charge/Fine Phone Numbers:

  • Athletic trips/equipment: 315-229-5423
  • Dorm Damage/Recycling Fees: 315-229-5250
  • Parking Permits/Traffic Violations: 315-229-5554
  • Library Fines:  315-229-5170

What happens if I have to withdraw from school after the start of a semester?

See the University's refund policy for information on this subject.

How do I pay for my books?

Students may purchase their books at the Brewer Bookstore using cash, check, credit card, or a community wide account. Students and their families are responsible for ensuring students have adequate funds on hand at the beginning of each semester to purchase books. Students with a normal course load will require approximately $325 each semester for books. An easy way to make funds available to students for this purpose is to open a community wide account and deposit funds into the account.

Are banking services available on campus?

North Country Savings Bank has a branch, open Monday - Thursday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Student Center. During the summer, they are open Monday - Thursday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Friday from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. University payroll checks in any amount and personal checks up to $200 for students and employees may be cashed. Anyone with an account at NCSB can do all banking business at the branch.

Days with Limited Business Hours (M-F Noon – 2 pm): Spring Break, Fall Mid-semester Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, Summer Break

Closed Days: Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day and day after), Christmas Eve Day through New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, and Memorial Day.

Two ATM machines connected to NCSB are located on campus, one in Brewer Bookstore and one near the Mail Center in the Student Center.

Please review the check cashing policy for more information.

Students may wish to open a bank account at another financial institution in the Canton-Potsdam area. Below is a list of such institutions.