SOCIOLOGY MAJOR REQUIREMENTS: 9-12 units of credit
1 100-level course (required)
- 101 Principles of Sociology
- 110 Global Problems
- 112 Inequality
- 124 Dirty Business and the Environment
- 161 Social Problems and Policy
Majors may take additional courses at the 100 level, but a maximum of 2 such courses may be counted towards the major.
203 Foundations of Social Theory (required)
300 Qualitative Research Methods or 301 Quantitative Research Methods (required)
Prerequisite: 203 Foundations of Social Theory
Experiential Component (required)
Choose one from:
- A SLU approved off-campus study program (semester or year). To fulfill this requirement, students must also attend a gathering of Sociology Department faculty and other sociology majors retuning from off-campus study to present a sociological reflection on their experiences.
- Any Sociology course with a CBL (Community Based Learning) component
- SOC 309 Internship
- Summerterm course in Ethiopia offered through Sociology
Capstone Seminar (required)
- Any 300 or 400 level topical seminar. These seminars have significant individual research components and opportunities for collaborative work, critical thinking, synthesis, and practice in a variety of communication skills.
Capstone Independent Research and Honours (optional)
For majors who wish to pursue an additional Capstone opportunity through independent research:
- 486 Capstone Independent Study (1.0 credit, 1 semester, Fall or Spring)
Prerequisites: 203 Foundations of Social Theory, 300 or 301 Research Methods, any 300 or 400
level topical seminar, and a Capstone Project Application submitted to the Sociology
Department for approval prior to preregistration the semester before the start of the project.
- 495/496 Capstone Honors Project (2.0 credits, 2 semesters, 495 in Fall and 496 in Spring)
Prerequisites: 3.5 major GPA, 203 Foundations of Social Theory, 300 or 301 Research Methods,
any 300 or 400 level topical seminar, and a Capstone Project Application submitted to the
Sociology Department for approval prior to preregistration the semester before the start of the project.
A maximum of 2 approved courses from outside the department may be applied to the major. Social Theory, Research Methods, and the Capstone Experience must be taken on campus in the department for major credit.
Sociology Minor Requirements
- A minimum of six units of credit.
- Of these courses, one must be at the 100 level, one at the 200 level and one at the 300 or 400 level.