The next recruitment period will be held at the beginning of the spring semester. Specific dates are TBD.
To attend any and all recruitment events, you must meet the criteria outlined below:
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Sophomore class standing, defined as 9 credits or more (note: first-year students who have 9 or more credits are not eligible and must wait until Fall of their sophomore year)
- Judicial check- you must be in good judicial standing, defined as:
- You may not be on disciplinary probation
- All assigned judicial sanctions must be completed prior to recruitment
- Please note that severity of violations and number of violations will be taken into account during judicial check
- All decisions regarding a pass/fail of judicial check go through the Dean's office and are final
Note: For students with unique circumstances, such as transfer or exchange students, eligibility is at the discretion of the Greek Advisor
Want to learn more?
Recruitment is done separately by the fraternities and sororities on campus and there are different processes involved. To learn more about each of the organizations on campus check out the Greek Organizations web pages.
The Greek Life resource page also has great information if you are curious about learning more. Some of the information, such as forms, is specifically for current Greek members. However, the Greek 100 PowerPoint and Glossary will provide you with lots more information about fraternity and sorority life on campus.
For interested women, check out this video created by the National Panhellenic Conference. This inspiring video highlights the potential of Greek women and making a decision to join. Our Potential Your Move Recruitment Video Not sure what the National Panhellenic Conference is? Click here to learn more...
Panhellenic Recruitment for Sororities
Fall Recruitment- The Panhellenic Council coordinates a formal fall recruitment process beginning in September that will assist you in learning about the four Greek organizations and what it means to be Greek at SLU.
Spring Recruitment- Panhellenic recruitment is less formal in the spring, however the eligibility requirements below still apply.
In order to be eligible to participate in recruitment and join a sorority, you must be:
- a regularly enrolled, full-time student in good standing with St. Lawrence University (students in poor judicial standing as defined above may not participate)
- with at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA for the last two consecutive semesters (not including summer term)
- and at least 9 credits
Please note that first-year students are not permitted to participate in recruitment. Interested first-year students may learn more about Greek Life during Greek Week, an event that takes place in April each year.
The steps that eligible women must take to participate in FALL recruitment are listed below:
- Register as a PNM (potential new member). Please note that you MUST register during the set registration period. Once registration is closed you will not be able to participate in recruitment.
- Attend Greek 101. This event is mandatory if you wish to participate in recruitment. If you cannot attend, you must contact the Panhellenic Recruitment Chair, Nicole Sullivan, firstname.lastname@example.org and make arrangements for a makeup session.
- Judicial & Academic checks- After you register your name will be checked against academic and judicial records. If you are found to not meet the requirements listed above under "eligible to participate" you will not be able to continue on in the recruitment process. We ask that you please be open and honest about any potential GPA or judicial issues so that we can address these early on.
The steps that eligible women must take to participate in SPRING recruitment are listed below:
- Attend Greek 101. If you cannot attend you must contact the Panhellenic Recruitment Chair, Nicole Sullivan, email@example.com and make arrangements for a makeup session.
- Judicial & Academic checks- Before you may be offered a bid you must pass a judicial and academic check, the criteria for which are outlined above. We ask that you be open and honest about potential academic and/or judicial issues so that we may address these early on.
The men do a more informal recruitment structure than the women. However, in order to be eligible to join a fraternity you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a regularly enrolled, full-time student at St. Lawrence University
- You must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA for the last two consecutive semesters (not including summer term); please note that the 2.5 GPA requirement is the requirement of the University and that individual fraternities may have higher GPA standards.
- You must have at least 9 credits AND be a sophomore (first-year students may not participate)
- You must be in good standing with the University; students on judicial probation, students who have a major judicial incident on their record, and students who have incomplete judicial sanctions are not eligible to participate in recruitment.
Please note that first-year students are not eligible to join a fraternity. If you are a first-year student who wants to learn more about Greek Life and meet the members, you may attend events during Greek Week which is held in April of each year.
The steps that eligible men must take to participate in either Fall or Spring Fraternity Recruitment are:
- Attend Greek 101. If you cannot attend you must contact the Greek Council recruitment chairs, Andrew Bourne, firstname.lastname@example.org and Kelan Koncewicz, email@example.com to make other arrangements.
- Pass academic & judicial checks (2.5 GPA, sophomore class standing with at least 9 credits, pass judicial check as outlined above)