1. All building evacuations will occur when a building
alarm (fire alarm) sounds and/or upon notification by Safety and
2. When the building evacuation alarm is activated
during an emergency, leave by the nearest marked exit and alert
others to do the same.
3. Assist persons in exiting the building, especially
persons with a physical challenge. If elevators exist in a building,
they are reserved for persons with physical challenges. DO NOT
USE THE ELEVATORS IN CASES OF FIRE OR EARTHQUAKE
4. Once outside, proceed to a clear area that is
at least 500 feet away from the affected building. Keep streets,
fire lanes, hydrant areas, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles
and personnel. Know your area assembly points.
5. DO NOT return to an evacuated building unless
told to do so by a Safety and Security staff.
1. Evacuation of all or part of the campus grounds will be announced by
Safety and Security
2. All persons (students and staff) are to vacate
immediately the area of campus in question and relocate to another
part of the campus grounds as directed
3. Relocation of Persons with Disabilities
In the event of an emergency, individuals who use
wheelchairs and other individuals with disabilities should observe
the following procedures:
· Move towards the marked exit
· As a first choice, use the building elevator, BUT NEVER IN THE CASE
OF A FIRE OR EARTHQUAKE
· If there is an earthquake – or if there is an obstruction in the
pathway – request assistance from others in the area
· If assistance is not immediately available, stay in the exit corridor
or the stairway landing. Continue to call for help until rescued. Individuals
who cannot speak loudly should carry a whistle or have other means for attracting
the attention of others.
· Rescue personnel, Public Safety, Emergency Response Teams, Fire and
Police Departments will first check all exit corridors and exit stairwells for
· If you use a wheelchair, or have any other mobility impairments, please
file a Class Schedule with Safety and Security – or with the Coordinator
for you education center.
NOTE: It is suggested that the individuals who use wheelchairs or have mobility
impairment prepare for an emergency ahead of time by instructing faculty/staff
or classmates on how to assist him/her in an emergency.