St. Lawrence University seeks an Assistant Director of Prospect Research that will work collaboratively with two other full-time prospect researchers and members of the University Advancement team. This is an ideal position for a self-motivated, curious, and focused individual looking to join a strong and growing development team at a dynamic liberal arts institution.
- Update biographical profiles, prepare summaries on event attendees, and respond to research requests
- Conduct proactive research to identify new prospects; identify and evaluate philanthropic capability of the parents of the incoming first-year class
- Interpret biographical and complex financial information on individuals, corporations and foundations
- Perform wealth estimations and assign ratings based on publicly available information, including insider holdings, real estate, salary estimates and general demographic assessments
- Keep abreast of alumni in the news, philanthropic trends, and current economic and world events; assist in matching prospect interest to fundraising priorities
- Research, record, and report deceased constituents weekly
- Other duties as assigned to meet departmental goals and objectives
- A bachelor’s degree is required
- 2 years minimum research experience, either in undergraduate course work or through formal employment
- Well-developed writing and research skills; working knowledge of Internet search strategies
- Superior skills in Microsoft Word and Excel; experience working in relational databases
- Knowledge of The Raiser’s Edge a plus, but not required
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and summarize biographical and complex financial data
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a team; to build effective relationships; and to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Sensitivity to highly confidential information; complete discretion is required
- Ability to identify and adapt to shifting priorities, be flexible and resourceful, and exercise professionalism in working with internal and external contacts
- Must be self-motivated, curious, focused, and persistent in the pursuit of information
To apply, send a letter of application, resume, and names of three professional references to Amanda Fish, St. Lawrence University, Vilas Hall 226B, 23 Romoda Drive, Canton, NY 13617, or email materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Located in Canton, N.Y., St. Lawrence University is a coeducational, private, independent liberal arts institution of about 2,400 students. The educational opportunities at St. Lawrence inspire students and prepare them to be critical and creative thinkers, to find a compass for their lives and careers, and to pursue knowledge and understanding for the benefit of themselves, humanity and the planet. Through its focus on active engagement with ideas in and beyond the classroom, a St. Lawrence education leads students to make connections that transform lives and communities, from the local to the global.
For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit SLU’s homepage at http://www.stlawu.edu. SLU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.