St. Lawrence University invites applications for the position of Bookstore Assistant Director. The successful candidate will assist the Director in the general management of the Bookstore and Café.
- Primary Supervisor for day-to-day front-end management of Bookstore and Café operations.
- Recruit, train and schedule Bookstore, Café, and student staff.
- Direct supervision of students and seasonal staff, assist in supervision of full time regular staff.
- Strategize, execute and advertise all on- and off-site store events.
- Edit and maintain store website; manage store social media accounts.
- Strategize workflow and manage staff during peak periods.
- Devise and implement policies as directed and assist with policy and procedure development.
- Assist Director with performance appraisals, job descriptions, and other internal HR functions.
- Respond to customer inquiries about policies, merchandise and other issues as they arise.
- Confer with department clerks regarding issues, opportunities and goals in their respective areas.
- Prepare various reports to inform decision-making as needed.
- Be available to perform store closing duties several nights per week as seasonal schedules dictate.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to load/unload shipments.
- Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree and Bookstore experience are required.
Desired qualifications include excellent verbal and written communication skills and "people" skills. Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate employees toward a common goal. Three years of experience in Bookstore management. Experience working in a union retail environment and Café Management experience preferred.
Strong knowledge of and aptitude with office-related software and retail POS systems
The position performs independently within department’s policies and procedures and confers with and reports to the Bookstore Director. The anticipated start date is October 1, 2013. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, along with the names and contact information of three references to: Mr. Kevin Collen, Director, Brewer Bookstore, St. Lawrence University, 23 Romoda Drive, Canton, NY 13617 or send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Located in Canton, N.Y., St. Lawrence University is a coeducational, private, independent liberal arts institution of about 2,400 students. The educational opportunities at St. Lawrence inspire students and prepare them to be critical and creative thinkers, to find a compass for their lives and careers, and to pursue knowledge and understanding for the benefit of themselves, humanity and the planet. Through its focus on active engagement with ideas in and beyond the classroom, a St. Lawrence education leads students to make connections that transform lives and communities, from the local to the global. For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit SLU’s homepage at http://www.stlawu.edu.
SLU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer.