St. Lawrence University invites applications for the position of Bookstore Assistant Director. The successful candidate will assist the Director in the general management of the Bookstore and Café.
- Primary Supervisor for day-to-day front-end management of Bookstore and Café operations.
- Recruit, train and schedule Bookstore, Café, and student staff.
- Supervision of employees including students and seasonal staff.
- Strategize, execute and advertise all on- and off-site store events.
- Edit and maintain store website; manage store social media accounts.
- Strategize workflow and manage staff during peak periods.
- Devise and implement policies as directed and assist with policy and procedure development.
- Assist Director with performance appraisals, job descriptions, and other internal HR functions.
- Respond to customer inquiries about policies, merchandise and other issues as they arise.
- Assist in leading employees and working toward issue resolution, opportunities and goals.
- Prepare various reports to inform decision-making as needed.
- Flexible schedule to include combination of opening and closing as well as weekend responsibilities.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to load/unload shipments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and retail experience required. Minimum of three years of management experience and proven ability to lead and motivate employees. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Ability to embrace the culture and values of St. Lawrence University and relate to its many constituencies.
Desired qualifications: Bookstore work experience. Experience working in a union retail environment and Café Management experience preferred.
Strong knowledge of and aptitude with office-related software and retail POS systems
The position performs independently within department’s policies and procedures and confers with and reports to the Bookstore Director. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, along with the names and contact information of three references to: Mr. Kevin Collen, Director, Brewer Bookstore, St. Lawrence University, 23 Romoda Drive, Canton, NY 13617 or send via email to email@example.com.
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
Located in Canton, N.Y., St. Lawrence University is a coeducational, private, independent liberal arts institution of about 2,400 students. The educational opportunities at St. Lawrence inspire students and prepare them to be critical and creative thinkers, to find a compass for their lives and careers, and to pursue knowledge and understanding for the benefit of themselves, humanity and the planet. Through its focus on active engagement with ideas in and beyond the classroom, a St. Lawrence education leads students to make connections that transform lives and communities, from the local to the global. For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit SLU’s homepage at http://www.stlawu.edu.
SLU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity emp