Library Computer Assistants are responsible for routine and preventative maintenance of public and staff workstations in the Owen D. Young Library.
1. Perform daily routine rounds on the library public terminals, computer workstations, and peripherals to ensure that the equipment and services rendered by this equipment is in clean and working order (ensuring adequate paper supplies, replacing ink and toner cartridges).
2. Perform preventative maintenance on computer workstations, terminals, and printers (Running Scan Disk and Defrag and virus checking software, and printer cleaning).
3. Perform basic troubleshooting as necessary on public, lab and staff workstations and peripherals.
4. Assist patrons with printing and general software application / hardware questions.
5. Instruct library patrons on the use of this equipment.
6. Other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
1. Familiarity with the Windows operating systems
2. A willingness to learn about hardware, and software applications used by the libraries
3. Ability to work professionally in a service oriented environment
4. A firm understanding of how routine and preventative maintenance impacts the quality of public service provided by the libraries
5. A strong hardware / software aptitude
Additional Desirable Qualifications
1. Familiarity with Netscape 4.0 and higher and Internet Explorer 5 and higher; Microsoft Office site of programs (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint)
3. Working knowledge of the Linux operating system
4. Working knowledge of Apache web server
5. Ability to understand technical manuals
Skill required 9
Level of effort 8
Stress/Working Conditions 8